Sliding glass doors can offer a lot of benefits. Not only are sliding glass doors easy to operate – they can also offer a good chance to let some fresh air inside your home. If you have glass windows, sliding doors can offer an unprecedented floor to ceiling view that you just can’t get from other doors or windows. Before you install your sliding doors, you want to be sure that you consider a number of important factors. Not only do you want to be sure that you remove your old sliding doors – you also want to be sure that your new door will fit correctly. Here are some factors to consider before installing sliding glass doors.
- Do you need to replace the frame and the tracks? In some cases, you may only need to replace and install the sliding doors – and not the frame. If this is the case, you simply want to find the same doors from a company that sells sliding glass doors. You can either search “interior doors NYC” or “interior doors Miami” to find a retailer in your community or city.
- You will need to purchase the right sized sliding doors. If you have to replace the entire door – frame and all – you will need to measure the frame and purchase doors that fit nicely in that frame. The last thing you want is to remove the old sliding glass doors and then install the wrong size. Indeed, you can use measuring tape to make sure that you source the right sized doors. Ideally, you want to measure around the frame.
- Are you experienced with removing and installing sliding glass doors. In some cases, you may not be entirely experienced with installing sliding glass doors. Indeed, it can be an extensive process that requires some basic construction knowledge. If you aren’t sure what you are doing, you have a few different options. You can either hire a team to install the doors for you, or you can do the research and teach yourself how to install the doors, which will ultimately save you a lot of money.
- Is the glass tempered – some glass isn’t tempered and this can be a big safety issue. When it comes down to it, if you are adding sliding glass doors to the back of your home – on a ground level – you will want to make sure that the glass is thick enough and treated to withstand a break in. Some glass just isn’t strong enough and it can be a major security risk for your home.
- The cost of the sliding glass doors. The truth of the matter is that sliding glass doors run the gamut when it comes to cost. You can either go for the basics, or you can go for top of the line. In some cases, you can purchase sliding glass doors that have automated sliders, which means that you can control them with a remote. In the end, though, if you can’t afford this type of sliding door, you may want to go for the more basic model.