When you have pests in your home, you’ll do just about anything to get of them and keep them from damaging your property or compromising the health of you and your family. You might start out by taking matters into your own hands as a way to save some dough. And you may be able to rid your home of pests by using traps, bug bombs, or even natural pesticides like diatomaceous earth. But if you’re unable to eliminate the bed bugs, ants, or rodents in your home, or you’re dealing with a widespread issue like termites that is difficult to address on your own, it’s time to call in the pros. And you want to make sure you hire a pest control service that can get the job done. Here are a few common mistakes to avoid in the process.
- Failing to comparison shop. As a consumer, it’s your duty to understand your options and select accordingly. Before you hire a pest control service you need to shop around and find a company that is reputable, reliable, has a good track record of success, and meets your budgetary requirements. If you fail to do the leg work, you might end up overpaying or receiving subpar service, or both.
- Assuming expertise. Not every pest control services is suited to dealing with your particular type of pests. Whether you’re dealing with ants, cockroaches, termites, or other insects or you’ve got a rodent problem, you need to make sure that the company you hire offers the service you’re seeking and is qualified and experienced to deliver results. Before you set up a service appointment, ask about what a company is qualified to deal with. And don’t forget to ask for (and check) references.
- Trying something just because it’s new. In case you didn’t know, pesticides undergo a lengthy period of research and testing before they can be registered and approved for use in homes and commercial structures. As a result, it is relatively rare to find “new and improved” products. If you come across companies touting this selling point, you might want to think twice about paying more for the service. A reputable company like Optimum Services won’t need such gimmicks.
- Paying for ongoing service unnecessarily. Some pest problems require ongoing service (such as monthly spraying around the perimeter of your home). But yours may not be one of them. Before you contract for extended service, make sure you actually need it. Hire a pest control specialist for one service and see how it goes. You might need repeat services to completely eliminate pests, or you might require ongoing maintenance. But one service call could do the job.
- Working without a contract. A reputable pest control service will not only provide you with a free quote, but also with a contract for work. The best pest control advice to follow is to make sure you know what service you’re getting and at what price, and the contract will spell this out for you.