When you complete a home inspection, there is a good chance that you are going to discover a few things. For instance, you may find a little wood rot behind a wall. You may also find some minor non-toxic mold in the bathroom. A lot of these issues can be fixed. However, there are some other problems that can be a little dangerous and a little risky and possibly irreversible as far as damage goes. For instance, if your home inspection detects a major roof problem, it may be a deal breaker and you may want to not put in an offer on the home. In some cases, though, it may not be a deal breaker, which is why it is important to know the difference. Here are some ways to know if a roof problem is a deal breaker.
- Have the roof inspected by a professional roof inspector – not a general housing inspector. Before you make an offer on the home, or call off the deal completely, you want to have an inspector take a look at the roof. There is a good chance that the roof is not irreversibly damaged.
- Find out how old the roof is – some roofs automatically need to be replaced. When it comes down to it, some roofs will need to be replaced regardless if they are showing signs of age or not. Indeed, roofs that are over twenty years old will need to go. If you can fit the bill for a new roof, it may actually be a great investment – especially if you love the house.
- See if you can put in a reduced offer on the home because of the damages caused by the roof. If you love the home and the roof does need to be replaced, or if it needs major repairs, you may want to see if the owners of the home would be willing to take a reduced offer. Basically, you would be taking the money you save and installing a new roof.
- See a report of all the work that has been done on the roof – it may be a chronic problem. If a roof has had multiple repairs and touch ups within single span of time, there may be nothing you can do. When it comes down to it, you may want to call the deal off. If a roof has a lengthy history of expensive repairs, there is a high probability that the issue is chronic, which means that you could be making a bad investment.
- Get estimates from different roofers – some roofing jobs may not be that expensive. On top of everything, you want to get different estimates from roofers. For instance, if the roof simply needs to be waterproofed, you may want to contact Heritage Roofing & Waterproofing Inc. There is a chance that the investment is worth the money. In the end, you will get the home you love and you will have a waterproofed roof to protect your property.