Whether you’re moving to a house in a new city or you’re just upgrading to a nicer place across town, moving your entire household can definitely be a challenge, especially if you’re doing most of the work on your own, it’s your first time making such a move, or both. However, you aren’t reinventing the wheel. Plenty of people have done it before you and you can learn from their trial and error. Here are just a few tips that should help you avoid common setbacks and enjoy a relatively stress-free move to your new home.
- Plan a schedule. The first thing you need to do is make sure you don’t run out of time, and this requires you to plan a schedule that gives you plenty of time to get everything done before your moving date arrives. If you have the time, break up packing and other tasks so that you can work on, say, one room every weekend until your move. This will give you plenty of time to sort through your stuff, throw out items you don’t need, carefully pack whatever is coming with you, and host a garage sale to get some cash for the rest. You’ll also have time to deep clean so that you can get your deposit back from your current residence or prepare to stage your home for resale.
- Make a checklist. There is no shortage of tasks that must be accomplished when you move, from packing and cleaning, to arranging for help on your moving day, to changing your address and transferring utilities. In order to make sure nothing important slips through the cracks, you should keep a master checklist so that you can get everything done in an efficient and effective manner.
- Get an app. You might be surprised to learn that there are a variety of mobile apps that could help you take measurements (to make sure your furniture will fit in the moving truck and in your new home), hire movers, and track the items and boxes you’ve packed so that you know where every garment and kitchen utensil is hiding amidst the mountain of boxes. Many are free, but before you select one, read reviews to make sure you’re getting a moving app that is reliable and has all the features you’re looking for.
- Ask for help. There’s no need to go it alone when you move, especially if you’ve already helped out other friends in the same boat. Call in favors well in advance so you know that your family members and friends are available as needed. Then pay them in pizza – it tends to be the universal currency when your friends help you move or paint a new house.
- Hire movers. There’s a lot to think about whenmoving to a new home and you can easily get overwhelmed. This is why so many people elect to hire trained professionals like those at North Dallas Moving and Storage or similar companies. These moving experts will get the job done quickly and efficiently, giving you less to worry about when you move from one house to another.