When it comes down to it, buying a home can be a seriously daunting task. It’s not like you can write a check, pick up the keys and move in. Typically, you have to go through the application process, you have to compete with other buyers, you have to pay for escrow and realty fees, and you have all the move in costs. Also, you have all the home inspection fees to make sure the property is not a lemon – the last thing you want is a faulty foundation. This is why purchasing a new construction home can be so much easier. However, there are still some factors you need to consider before purchasing a new construction home. Here are five things to consider before buying a new construction home.
- The reviews of the actual homebuilder – make sure that the builder or construction team has a good reputation. When you build a new construction home, you want to be sure that you look at the reputation of the builder. You don’t want a new construction home that won’t stand the test of time.
- The reputation of the real estate agent – you want to be sure that you are dealing with someone that is licensed and bonded and has good reviews from other homebuyers. There are some real estate professionals – likeDavid Painter Properties – Keller Williams Realty – that have great reviews. However, other real estate agents may be trying to take advantage of uneducated buyers – these are real estate agents that you should stay away from.
- The location of the actual property – is there a lot of light, utility hook ups and other facets that are important to build a fully functioning home? In terms of practicality, you want to be sure that you build your home on a plot of land that has all the right hook ups. If there aren’t, you may have some issues and you may have to pay more money to build your home. This can present a huge headache if you don’t make this consideration before you build your home.
- The homeowner’s association rules – there may be rules that forbid you to build a certain type or style of home. Many neighborhoods have rules regarding the type or structure you can build. In some cases, you may not be able to build a certain style of home. The rules may be so strict that you may not be able to paint your home a certain color. The last thing you want is to be stuck in a nasty battle with the homeowner’s association.
- The zoning restrictions and laws – you may only be able to build a home that is a certain height. On top of everything, you want to consider some of the zoning laws that have to do with the property that you are building on. For instance, you may not be able to build a home that is over a certain height. In the end, you want to build within the restrictions of the zoning laws – or else you could get in a lot of trouble.